Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Don’t call me Mr. Mom/a year of Blogging as a stay at home dad.


I have been an at home dad for a little more than a year and a half now, and what a ride it has been. The 1st six months were the hardest. I had to get use to not going to a job every day and not having adult contact. After six months I found an outlet, this blog. Along the way I found I was not alone in the world of at home dads. There are many other fathers who are at home and have there own blogs. And I also found that we all agreed on a few things. One; this is the hardest job we have ever had. Two; we love being with our kids more often. Three; our wifes are happier and so are we. Four; don’t call us Mr. Mom!!

We are fathers who love our kids not Mr. Mom. That implies we are taking over the role of the mother. Not true, yes I do more of the house work than my wife, yes it is my job to get the kids to school, and yes I do all the cooking. But I both want and love to do these things. The other thing is, the house work that “traditionally” done by the man, are still done by me. This has one big bonus, I can do them at any time of the day. I don’t come home from work all exhausted form working all day and then have to mow the law in the heat. I can do it in the morning before it gets to hot. I can do home improvements at any time (I love to do this when the boys are in school and the wife is at work)

So what to call us? You can call us Stay at home dads (SAHD), but that is too bland. You could call me a dedicated father, but that would affect my ego. How about a demostic engineer? Nope that is taken by at home moms. I think of my self as just a dad doing what he must for the kids who need him the most. But if you need something to call me, call me a Honey-do Engineer… “Honey will you do this today?”

If you look to the right there are some links to other at home dads' blogs

No comments: