Wednesday, October 18, 2006

In Memory of a Simple and Good life


Today my Grandmother, Florence Daliege died. She was almost 92 years old, and had Alzheimer’s for more than 15 years.

There were many things I could always look forward to when my brothers and I would go and visit her as a child. Besides the peace and quiet of the property and the house, Grandma was always doting over us. She called you sweetie or sweet heart, and she was one of the few people who could called me Kenny. My brother and I loved to play a card game called Kings in the Corner with her. It is a game that is played with money and she supplied the pennies. So the game became all about either getting more of her pennies or keeping what she gave you, and she did not seem to mind loosing the money. Her house was also well stocked with lots of construction paper and art supplies for us. I made all kinds of things for her and she loved to help. Of course any time her favorite show, “the Price is Right” was on, we would sit and watch it with her. Going to my grandmothers was always relaxing and peaceful. And that was how she liked it.

My grandmother may not have had much education, she was not rich she was not famous, she was however a great soul. She led a simple life unfettered with the problems of the rest of world. She was always humming a little tune and she was always happy. She could always laugh at herself and it was wonderful to hear her laugh. We could learn much from her simple and happy life. I know how to laugh at my self, and enjoy the simple things in life, thanks to her. She will be missed and she earned her wings long ago.

No comments: